believes it’s all
Homeport is the largest locally-focused nonprofit developer of affordable housing in Central Ohio,
having served the area for over 30 years. We own 2,387 affordable rental apartments and homes, and house over 5,700 people. Almost half of our residents are children.
Why we are important
Homeport addresses the growing demand of affordable housing in Central Ohio. And the challenge is huge:
- Fifty-four thousand Central Ohio households are paying more than half their incomes for housing.
- The poverty population has grown at more than three times the rate of the overall population (2009-2014) and extends into Columbus suburbs.
- There is only one affordable rental unit for every three renters in poverty.
- Of the top 10 occupations with the most annual openings, nine do not pay workers enough to afford housing. The one exception is Registered Nurses.
- More than 17,000 Central Ohioans are on the application list for a rental subsidy.
Homeport is the answer.
An investment in Homeport is an investment in the lives of Central Ohioans and beyond. A decent home is at the center of every important issue, and it has a multiplier effect. Like dropping a pebble in a pond, one action in support of affordable housing creates results that extend far beyond and changes the lives of generations.
Looking for other ways to support Homeport?
Watch three generations of the Kelley family share why generosity matters to them, and to Central Ohio.
Interested in making a difference in the lives of Central Ohio residents?
Contact: Maude Hill
SVP of Community & Government Relations
Direct: (614) 545-4880